Our mission is to support the preservation and restoration of the Ellicott City Historic District as well as other historic Howard County properties, and to promote a greater awareness of Ellicott City and Howard County history.
Join Our 50th Anniversary Celebration! Click here for event info and to purchase tickets.
Historic Ellicott City, Inc. (HEC)
is a non-profit volunteer organization founded in 1973.
Our mission is to support the preservation and restoration of the Ellicott City Historic District as well as other historic Howard County properties, and to promote a greater awareness of Ellicott City and Howard County history. HEC, Inc. began its preservation efforts with the Ellicott City B&O Railroad Station Museum. Other restoration efforts that followed included: the George Ellicott House, the Thomas Isaac Log Cabin and the Heritage Orientation Center.
How You Can Help HEC’s Preservation Mission
Become a Member
Become a Volunteer
Donate to Our Cause
Visit Our Gift Shop
Annual Show Houses
Our passion for preservation is best known by our annual Decorator Show House. Our accomplishments in restoration and fundraising have led to successful partnerships with property owners in restoring our county’s historic homes and preserving them for future generations.
Bronze Plaque Program
HEC’s Bronze Plaque program identifies and commemorates the surviving examples of historic architecture that punctuate the landscape of the town for residents and visitors alike. These plaques along Main Street Ellicott City show the history of the building as well as a photo of the building. The first plaque was installed at Ellicott’s Country Store, others include the Emory United Methodist Church on Church Road, the Envy Salon on Old Columbia Pike.
HEC Plaques Donated
North Side of Ellicott City, MD, left side facing the Patapsco River:
- HO 64 Log Cabin 8394 Main St
- HO 984 Fire Station 8390 Main St.
- HO Jonathan Ellicott Building 8374 Main St.
- HO 341 Talbott Lumber Co. 8308 Main St.
- HO 82 Disney’s Tavern 8298 – 8304 Main St.
- HO Starr Funeral Home 8290 Main St.
- HO Howard House Addition 8210 Main St.
- HO 68 Howard House Hotel 8202 Main St.
- HO 69 Walker-Chandler House 8180- 8182 Main St.
- HO 79 I.O.O.F. Lodge Building 8126 Main St.
- HO 52 Patapsco National Bank 8098 Main St.
- HO 49 Second Patapsco National Bank 8090 Main St.
- HO 97 John Williams House 8086 Main St.
- HO 88 Hunts General Store 8066-8068 Main St.
- HO 98 Lauman House 8060 Main St.
- HO 62 Old Stone Tavern House ( Forget me Not Factory) 8044 Main St
- HO 86 Old Railroad Hotel 8028-8036 Main St.
- HO 70 The Patapsco Hotel 8018 Main St.
- Mile Marker 10 Wall of Railroad Bridge, Main St.
South side of Ellicott City, right side facing the Patapsco River:
- HO Firehouse Annex 8407 Main St.
- HO 325 Caleb Merryman’s Two Frame Buildings 8329-8333 Main St.
- HO Miller Chevrolet 8307 Main St.
- HO Yates Market 8247 Main St.
- HO Taylor’s 8197 Main St.
- HO 78-6 Caplan’s Dept. Store 8125 Main St.
- HO Rosenstock Building 8095 Main St.
- HO 78-7 Phoenix Emporium 8085 Main St.
- HO 78-2 Great Panes 8069 Main St.
- HO 83 Collier’s Grist Mill Tiber Alley
- HO 72 B & O Railroad Station 2711 Maryland Ave.
- HO 313 Day-French-Puhl House 3723 Old Columbia Pike
- HO 59 Mt. Ida 3691 Sarah’s La.
- HO 55 Sunflower Church(Emory Methodist) 3799 Church Rd.